Saturday, September 4, 2010

COPS

By Don Keele Jr.

The mall had just closed and I had barely left the mall parking lot, heading down a street lined with condo’s, when suddenly I found myself in a scene reminiscent of a special episode of COPS. A police car just ahead of me had pulled in behind a white Suzuki wagon, and a second police car had stopped just behind the first, but partly blocking my lane. A blue Chevy pickup facing the same direction sat angled across the left side of the road with enough room between it and the police car for my car to ease through. Thinking it was a minor fender bender, I started to ease between the two cars when a man in a brown leather jacket brandishing a drawn revolver leaped from in front of the truck and banged on my hood.

“Stop!!” he cried. “Back up...NOW!”

No argument here. I slammed the car into reverse and started to back up when two more cruisers, lights flashing, pulled beside and behind me. Another cruiser came screaming down the road in front of me and parked in between the blue pickup and the other police car. I was trapped. For the next 20 minutes I sat there trying to stare past the flashing lights and watch the unfolding drama in the beam of the strong searchlight mounted on the first patrol car.

“Driver, get out of the car with your hands on your head!” A voice sounded from the grill of the patrol car. Around the scene, about 9 officers, both male and female, stood with guns drawn, aimed at the car. A tall, large-boned, heavy-set teen struggled to get out of the tiny car without using his hands that he had placed on his head.

“Everyone else put your hands on the inside ceiling of the vehicle.” Through the spinning whir of lights, I could see other hands being slowly raised to the roof.

I looked back to the driver who was now standing with his hands behind his head. He looked to be a young man of about 18 or 19 years of age. He was imposing in stature, and the whirling lights revealed a face that did not seem overly concerned with his current predicament.

The commands through the loudspeaker continued. “Kneel down—keep your hands on your head.” He struggled to kneel in his baggy denim shorts, while keeping his hands on his head.

“He’s still too close,” shouted one of the other officers.

Again the voice through the loudspeaker, “Stand up!” He struggled again, trying to keep his hands on his head as he rose to his feet. “Walk backwards.” He complied. “Kneel down.” Once back down on his knees, five officers rushed in and quickly handcuffed him. They pulled him to his feet and steered him to one of the waiting patrol cars right next to where I was trapped. Placing a hand on top of his head to keep him from bumping it, one of the officers guided his descent into the back seat. Still, he did not seem overly concerned. A cool, arrogance seemed to pervade his gaze as he looked over at me. I turned my attention back to the on-going drama.

“Passenger in the front seat,” called the loudspeaker voice, “come out slowly with your hands up.”

The passenger from the front seat was a girl who looked to be about 16 or 17. She was tall, slender and very attractive with long, dark hair. She had no look of arrogance or cool. She was visibly shaken by the experience she now found herself in the middle of. Tears streamed down her face as she cried out, “don’t shoot me, please.”

“Back up and kneel down,” said the voice. She did and two officers quickly had her handcuffed and led her to another waiting car. She sobbed uncontrollably as she passed between my car and the one where the driver sat watching coolly. She saw him in the back of the car next to mine and screamed at him through her tears. He just stared straight ahead, unwilling to meet her gaze. She was deposited in the car behind mine.

“Passenger in the back seat, come out slowly with your hands on your head.”

The heavy-set girl in the back seat bent down as if to pick something up. Nine officers with guns all aimed at her started screaming, “Get your hands up where we can see them.” She looked back over her shoulder into the glaring spotlight. A look of defiance clearly marked her features.

“Come out of the car with your hands on your head!” the voice repeated more sternly.

“Come and get me,” she mouthed into the light at no one in particular.

The loudspeaker voice intoned, “You have 10 seconds to come out of the car or we will come in. These officers have been authorized to shoot.”

Was I going to watch someone get shot right in front of me? “Please, girl, come out with your hands up,” I pleaded silently.

Suddenly the back door burst open and the girl started to make a break. The guy in the car next to me laughed and cheered her on. Instantly there were 5 cops on her. She struggled and kicked and even tried to bite one of the officers, but they soon had her subdued in handcuffs. As they pulled her to her feet, a defiant sneer crossed her face.

When they led her past my headlights, to put her in the car to my left, she was almost laughing at them. She saw me watching her from my car and she shot me a look of searing scorn. I held her gaze but inwardly flinched. I had seen that look before.

Defiance, hatred and a determination were there. How does one get to this state? It is in the daily decisions; the decisions that come to each of us from moment to moment. It is in the decisions to serve self rather than God. With each decision we begin to look more like whichever side we choose. And the more choices toward Satan, the more the look begins to be fixed.

It is the look of one who has beheld and idolized the dark side one day at a time until, little by little, they become so controlled by the enemy of our souls that they fail to realize the extent of his control. It is the look of one who, thinking they are being their own person and making their own decisions, are unable to recognize how deep they have moved into Satan’s territory. Even as the noose tightens around their neck, they continue to insist that they are free and nothing can touch them; they are above the law. It is the look of one who has taken on the appearance of a greater master.

It was apparent that, though she was young, Satan had left his mark on this one. I could almost see him laughing through her. She jerked her head away from the guiding hand of the officer and banged her head on the top of the door. “Don’t touch my #@$*# head,” she screamed as she fell backwards into the car.

Once they put her in the car, they moved the pickup truck aside and let me go through.

As I drove on home, I couldn’t help thinking about that look. It haunted me. And then I began thinking about me. And my church. What are we doing to help ones with “the look”? What responsibility do we have for those going to hell? Not just those who come to our youth groups, but ones that inhabit our neighborhoods. What is our responsibility to our community?

Have we taken our call to “come out of her, My people” so seriously, that we refuse to engage any but those who show up to our evangelism series or send in a Bible study card? Are we unwilling to take Jesus back into the world?

Has it ever occurred to any of us that Jesus called us to love even those with “the look”? To pursue them in love and let them know that they aren’t stuck with that sneer, that hatred and scorn.

Jesus said, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35 NIV Do they see it in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment