Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Who is the Greatest? or Am I Better Than You?

One of the most interesting and challenging statements of Jesus occurs just after the mother of James and John has asked that they be allowed to have the highest positions in Jesus’ coming kingdom.  Jesus responded that it was not his place to grant positions in heaven, but His Father’s.   But the mere asking really irritated the other disciples.  It annoyed them to think that someone was trying to get the top spots in the kingdom.  Not because they had anything against James and John, but because it would mean that they wouldn’t be in the top slot.

And so Jesus responds to the whole lot of them with one of the toughest teachings in the Bible.  It’s found in Matt. 20:25-28. 
V.25 Jesus called them together and said,  “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave — 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Notice that Jesus isn’t just suggesting here.  Notice that he isn’t merely hinting.  He is very straightforward in turning their pre-conceived ideas upside down with a new command that makes sense, but it doesn’t make sense all at the same time.  He is telling them that if they want to be great in God’s kingdom, they must be counter-cultural, go against the systems and structures set up by man, and become a servant.  They must strive for what we would call today, downward mobility.

I don’t think they cared much for the idea.  As a matter of fact, not long after this, they were traveling to Capernaum they began arguing quietly among themselves as they trudged the road behind Jesus.

Mark 9:33 ¶ They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them,  “What were you arguing about on the road?”
Mark 9:34 But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest.

It is ever upwards in their minds.  How do I get to the top?  How do I become numero Uno?  Is it possible to edge someone else out?  And we can’t finger point.  We do the same thing, don’t we? Oh, we know our place at work or school, but it isn’t without the thoughts, “Well, if I were running this show, I would…”  And it’s very easy to try and discount anyone who may be in authority over us.  We want to move up the ladder, to go higher and get better.  We want people to recognize that we are just a bit superior.  That we sure aren’t as ignorant or as back woodsy or as unsophisticated as those rednecks, or geeks or hillbillies.  No matter where you find yourself on the food chain, what do you do?  You look around to see who has it better and who has it worse.  And we can all say, “Well at least I’m not as bad as….” Or “If only I could…then I’d…”

Who’s the greatest?   That’s the question we are really asking.  Am I better than?  And Jesus’ response to His disciples might rattle our cage as well.

Mark 9:35 ¶ Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said,  “If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.”
They didn’t much like that…and neither do we.  We don’t much like the thought of downward mobility.  We sure don’t like the idea of going to the end of the line.  And if someone cuts in on us…it makes our blood boil.  Jesus ups the ante.

36 ¶ He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, 37  “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”

Great pastor Don, I have no problem welcoming little children.  It’s the teenagers that drive me nuts!  And what does this have to do with the church anyway?  I’m glad you asked.

One of the reasons the church has such a hard time allowing young people to participate is because we don’t want to lose control.  We reason that we had to pay our dues in order to gain leadership positions in the church, so they should have to pay theirs.  And as long as they haven’t paid theirs, they are subject to whatever we like, because, after all, we are on top.  How do you think Jesus would respond to that idea?  If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.  Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”

Not only are we welcoming Jesus when we determine to serve young people, but we are also welcoming God the Father and the Holy Spirit as well.  If we are to become a people who disciple young people, we must become servant leaders.  But what does that mean?


First of all, it means choosing a path of downward mobility.  Choosing to relinquish any rights I may think I have in the church, for the sake of winning others and discipling them.  It means making a conscientious choice to build into the life of another person.  It means being less concerned with me, and what I like, and more concerned with you and what will win you to Jesus.  Who is the greatest?

It still isn't me or you.  It isn't even the kids we serve.  It always has been and always will be Jesus. And He has called us to follow His example and go lower.  How will we respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment